GREEN CARD – Frequently Asked Questions

Get the answer from our attorneys, our lawyers

Our Attorneys answer frequently asked questions about green card process.

The Department of State uses the priority date to determine a person’s place in the visa queue where there are a limited number of immigrant visas available in a given year. As a result, if your priority date is not up to date, you cannot file Form I-485.

Yes, a foreign national can apply for both; that’s called the “combo card.” Also, keep in mind that a person cannot work with the I-140 by himself.

Form I-140 does not provide employment status. If possible, file all forms with Form I-485.

It usually arrives 4-5 months after the presentation.

Yes. Once the notice of receipt is received, the applicant can call USCIS and request expedited approval.

It is not recommended to travel outside the United States, as the applicant will need a U.S. visa to return to the United States. In this case, a foreign national would have to go to the U.S. consulate in their country to obtain an H-1B visa stamp or wait for the travel authorization to be approved before leaving the United States.

Biometric data provided during the Application Support Center (ASC) appointment allows the government to confirm the applicant’s identity and execute the required security and background checks.

We will hold a conference meeting with the applicants and their families to go through the whole process. We will provide guidance on how to answer questions in the interview process. We can also attend the interview appointment with the applicants.

At the I-485 (Adjustment of Status) interview, the immigration officer will review the alien’s I-485 application and its underlying immigration file. At the time of the interview, the foreign national must confirm that the job offer is still available, present all original civil documents, immigration status documents (H1B approvals, visa stamps, SEVIS documents), and medical examination previously completed on Form I-693 in a sealed envelope. If the alien is unable to make a request for adjustment of status, the alien will be interviewed at the U.S. consulate in their home country. The Department of State will issue an immigrant visa so that they and their family members can enter the U.S. as residents.

Living legally in the United States is an option. Click any of the above categories and learn more about the different visas available.