PERM LABOR CERTIFICATION: 3 minutes read
The process of obtaining permanent residency or a green card through employment in the United States can be complex and time-consuming. One important step in this process is the PERM labor certification, which acts as an essential requirement for certain employment-based immigrant visa categories. In this blog, we will delve into the details of the PERM labor certification, its purpose, eligibility criteria, and the overall process.
PERM stands for Program Electronic Review Management, and is an employment-based immigration process administered by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). The main purpose of the PERM labor certification is to protect the interests of U.S. workers by ensuring that the hiring of foreign workers will not negatively impact the pay and working conditions of American workers.
When applying for a PERM labor certification, certain criteria must be met:
- Job Offer: The employer must offer a full-time and a permanent position to the foreign worker.
- Prevailing Wage: The employer must agree to pay the foreign worker the prevailing wage for the specific occupation and geographic area.
- Labor Market Test: The employer must demonstrate that there are no qualified U.S. workers available or willing to fill the position by conducting a recruitment process.
However, with this visa, also comes many benefits:
- American Permanent Residency: The PERM Labor Certification is a clear path to the permanent residency, opening up opportunities and benefits of living and working in the U.S.
- U.S. Employment: With the PERM, candidates are able to secure full-time jobs with stability and security in the aspect of employment.
- Petition for family: PERM candidates are eligible to petition for their immediate family, such as spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21, to accompany them to the United States.
The PERM labor certification process is a crucial step in obtaining permanent residency through employment in the United States. It acts as a protection for U.S. workers while allowing employers to hire foreign workers. Understanding the complexities of the PERM labor certification process is essential for both employers and foreign workers seeking employment-based immigration.
However, it is important to note that this blog provides a general overview of the PERM labor certification process, and specific details and requirements may vary based on individual circumstances, If you require further information or clarification, we strongly recommend consulting with one of our qualified attorneys.
Consulting with an experienced immigration attorney or an immigration professional is highly recommended, and LOIGICA’s dedicated team of professionals will provide unwavering guidance throughout the entire process and your journey to the United States, aiming directly towards excellence in each professional and personal endeavor.
Join our newsletter
All about immigration law, visas, news, interestings interviews and more.